Kids love baking! It’s a whole load of messy mixtures and gets their senses going with all those sweet smells and colours. Baking is a brilliant way to spend those rainy days trapped inside, or simply to have some cheap and easy fun together. Here’s a few of our favorite recipes!
Banana, Raisin and Oat Cookies
Ingredients (Makes 6 – 8 cookies) –
- 2 bananas
- 100g oats
- Sprinkle of raisins
- large blob of honey
Mush the banana into a mixing bowl, add the oats and honey and mix until you form dough. Throw in the raisins and spoon onto a greased baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Yummy Vanilla Cupcakes
(Makes: 12 cupcakes)
- 100g self-raising flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Set oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Line a 12 hole cupcake tin with paper cases.
- Put flour, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla extract and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- mix until you have a creamy consistency, then spoon into the cupcake cases.
- Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes before decorating.
You can use premade squeezy icing sugar/frosting or simply melt some chocolate and let your little one spread over the top. We like to add sprinkles or jelly sweets and make little faces on our vanilla cupcakes. Enjoy!
Snowball Meltaway Cookies
Your kids will love to make these because they are super easy and super delicious!
What you’ll need –
- 1 cup butter (you can use all margarine or 1/2 butter and 1/2 margarine)
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Cream butter and icing sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add flour, mixing well until blended. Shape into 1″ balls
- Place on a greased tin and bake at 350 degrees for 20 min.
- While still hot, roll in icing sugar.
Cornflake Jam Tart
Hands up if you remember this one from school! Enjoy nostalgia whilst you make this with your little one
- 250 grams
- Plain Flour
- 125 grams cold butter
- Cold water
- Strawberry jam
- 75 grams golden caster sugar
- 75 grams butter
- 150 grams cornflakes
- 75 grams golden syrup
- Rub butter and flour together. Add enough water to make a dough. Chill.
- Push into whatever tin you’d like. Blind bake at 170C for 20 minutes.
- Melt sugar, butter and golden syrup in a pan. Add cornflakes and coat entirely in the mix.
- When tart case is cool, spread with jam.
- Add cornflakes on top and bake at 170C for 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely before cutting.